The cottage was originally a one room
home ( the existing bedroom area) from the 1880's.
Additions were made prior to 1930. Yes, it has air
conditioning now plus a ceiling fan. The bath built in
shelving sets over the original well site. The first
record of a tornado touching down in Eureka was in the
1930's when it took the roof off the cottage resulting
in the irregular double thick walls you see today. In
the 1940's a retired school teacher/artist, Abby
O'Dell, rode from Berryville into Eureka on a bicycle,
bought the cottage, then wallpapered the walls with
photos of movie stars from that era. Her paintings
occasionally show up in local estate auctions and
antique shops. Min Lindsey, a well know folk
artist/teacher, designed the flower cut outs for the
In the early 1980's, Glenn Wallis, Eureka's eccentric
gardener/artist, who designed the rock gardens at
historic Sweet Springs, Harding Springs and 11
Singleton House B&B, resided in the cottage and put in
the front pathway, thus the name..........
Posted by a
guest in the guestbook
"On August 7, 1992 an 89 year old gentleman &
his equally elderly but spry cousin came by
to take pictures of the cottage. He had been
born here in 1906 when it belonged to his
grandfather (a Mr. Elmoore or L. Moore) and
he lived here several years as a child. There
used to be a barn down by the parking area.
(small - for a horse & buggy) and fruit trees
in the yard. Also, steps used to come up from
the road, not where they are now."